The journal of my first year as an 8th grade English teacher.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Raise the Curtain

     Tomorrow I begin my new life. I am the 8th grade English teacher at Paramount Bard Academy in Delano, California. I have decided to keep this journal for my students. Hopefully it will give us a chance to get to know each other more personally. Class time is all about academics, so I can spend most of my time here writing about me: my background, my interests, my opinions (I have lots of opinions), and whatever else comes to mind. Maybe it will help you understand me better, the guy who is telling you (or your kids) what to do all day. So please comment often with requests of what you'd like me to write about!
     Speaking of opinions, I am also hoping that this will be a good introduction to the world of 21st century media communications for my students. This is an important time of historical change in human civilization. The rise of the internet, and all the technology that we now have use of, is changing the way we communicate, think, and even dream. It's also changing the way we package and enjoy art and literature. Preparing students to understand how to participate in this new computer age is a big focus of our classes, and this blog could serve as a good practical introduction for students. Maybe they'll even start their own blog.
     I will also use this  blog as a place to reflect on education, and what makes good teaching, so I hope other teachers out there will find this interesting to follow. If you do read this, I'd be happy to hear your impressions.
     Well, I've got to get up early tomorrow to meet you all, so I'll stop for now (why am I drinking coffee? I'll never get to sleep!). I will try to post something a couple times a week though. Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home