The journal of my first year as an 8th grade English teacher.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Payback

Just a quick posting, a couple students mentioned that it was embarrassing to have their picture posted on the internet. This should even things out; it is a photo of me from my tee-ball team when I was 7. Can you pick me out?
Of course, people had a much better sense of fashion back in those days. By coincidence my mom just mailed it to me a joke. Looking at it made me realize I wasn't much younger than my class is now, but the biggest surprise I've had as I start teaching is how incredibly sharp they all are. They know so much more than I knew when I was in 8th grade. During the first week they have argued with me about the criteria for having personal rights, and the importance of dress codes. They made solid arguments on both! I've heard people say that childhood is longer than it used to be, but looking at these students I don't agree. They seem almost grown up already. It's going to be a fun year watching them mold their independence. Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home